The purpose of the Mayor’s Housing Task Force for Scott Road is to provide recommendations to Council on directions and specific initiatives to promote the development of diverse and affordable housing options in the Scott Road corridor area and add certainty regarding future land use. The Task Force will look at a broad range of housing forms, ranging from low rise to high rise buildings, and a mix of market, rental and affordable housing.
The Task Force shall operate under the following Guiding Principles:
- Recognize that there is a need to provide housing for all ages, abilities and income levels.
- Ensure affordable housing choices to support all residents, with specific attention to young families and seniors and helping keep generations together in their community.
- Respect the need for an appropriate pace for change while also recognizing the urgency of addressing the most pressing housing needs of the community.
- Foster complete and welcoming communities, where housing types are integrated, where residents can feel at home and have access to transit, amenities and services to meet their diverse needs.
- Work collaboratively with residents on a plan that is supported, that strengthens community cohesion and brings people together in an understanding of our common values.
The Task Force will, consistent with the general purposes described above, provide advice to Council on the following:
- Establish a vision for future land uses in the Scott Road corridor, including major nodes near future RapidBus stops and transition areas.
- Recommend actions to promote and incentivize the development of diverse and affordable housing options.
- Recommend actions to provide greater land use certainty, considering a range of options and opportunities, including streamlining land use designations, pre-zoning certain lands, introducing rental tenure zoning, updating form and character guidelines, exploring density bonus tools, etc.
- Recommend actions to ensure the delivery of neighbourhood amenities required to support new housing.
- Seek broader public and community feedback on the vision and future for housing along the Scott Road Corridor.
Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference for the Task Force are provided in the following staff report: Mayor's Housing Task Force for Scott Road.
The regular meetings of the Mayor’s Housing Task Force will be held from 6 pm to 8:30 pm in the Multi-Purpose Room in the North Delta Recreation Centre at 11415 84 Avenue. The meetings will be held on the following dates:
- Meeting 1 – Monday, March 2
- Meeting 2 – Monday, March 16
- Meeting 3 – Tuesday, April 7
- Meeting 4 – Monday, April 20
- Meeting 5 – Monday, May 4
- Meeting 6 – Tuesday, May 19
- Meeting 7 – Monday, June 1
- Meeting 8 – Monday, June 8
- Meeting 9 – Tuesday, June 16
If additional meetings are required, they will be at the call of the Chair.
The meeting schedule is subject to change so please check this web page for updates.
The Task Force shall consist of the following members appointed by the Mayor, who shall serve without compensation as follows:
- Mayor George V. Harvie, Chair
- Councillor Bruce McDonald, Vice Chair
- Councillor Dan Copeland, Council Liaison
- Councillor Jeannie Kanakos, Council Liaison
- Emma Adams
- Stephen Brar
- Justin Dhaliwal
- Timothy Doling
- Alexandra Hughes
- Pawanjit Joshi
- Shruti-Prakash Joshi
- Debra Knowles
- Linda Lavers-Erickson
- Sarvjot Locham
- Brian McKenna
- John McQuade
- Dennis Ostler
- Kaylie Wong
Members of the non-profit housing sector and/or the development sector may be asked to participate in specific activities as content experts.
Questions regarding the Mayor’s Housing Task Force should be directed to:
Mike Ruskowski, Senior Planner