Home Owner Grants
The Province of British Columbia operates the Home Owner Grant program to help reduce the amount of residential property taxes that you pay for your principal residence. The grant is applied towards the current year’s property taxes.
The Province of British Columbia requires that all eligible property owners apply for the Home Owner Grant each year. This is to confirm that they still meet the eligibility requirements.
There are two ways to claim your Home Owner Grant:
- Apply online by clicking here. You will need your folio number and access code, which is shown on the top left of your property tax notice; or
- Complete the application on the bottom of your property tax notice and submit it in person at Delta’s City Hall at 4500 Clarence Taylor Crescent or the North Delta Recreation Centre at 11415 84 Avenue. You may also mail the application to Delta’s Taxation Office at 4500 Clarence Taylor Crescent, Delta, BC V4K 3E2.
If you have recently purchased the property and your name does not appear on the property tax notice, please contact the Taxation Office by email at firstname.lastname@example.org to acquire a new one. The access code is invalid if your name does not appear on the property tax notice.
If your property taxes are paid by your mortgage provider, you are still responsible for claiming your Home Owner Grant.
Avoid a penalty – claim your Home Owner Grant before the due date. The Home Owner Grant is a form of payment towards your property taxes.
- The grant threshold is the maximum value of an assessed property where home owners are eligible to the claim the Home Owner Grant.
- In 2018, the Province of British Columbia has set the grant threshold at $1,650,000, which means you may be eligible to claim the full grant amount of $570 if your property has an assessed value of $1,650,000 or less. If otherwise eligible and your property’s assessment value is above $1,650,000, you may qualify for the grant at a reduced amount. The grant is reduced by $5 for every $1,000 of assessed value above the threshold and completely eliminated at an assessment value above $1,764,000.
- If you are 65 years of age or older, or otherwise qualifying, you may be eligible for an additional grant of $275. The Additional Home Owner Grant is completely eliminated at an assessment value above $1,819,000.
You have Recently Purchased or Sold the Property
If you are selling your property, please consult your lawyer or notary regarding the claiming of the Home Owner Grant prior to the sale. If the property taxes are paid in full prior to the sale of the property, the new owner cannot claim a Home Owner Grant.
For more information on the Province’s Home Owner Grant program please visit their website.
Retroactive Home Owner Grant
If you forgot to claim your Home Owner Grant last year, you may be able to claim a retroactive Home Owner Grant. The Province of British Columbia allows you to claim the grant for last year if:
- You qualified for the Home Owner Grant on December 31 of last year; and
- You are still the registered owner of the property
Complete the Application for Retroactive Home Owner Grant and submit it in person at Delta’s City Hall at 4500 Clarence Taylor Crescent or the North Delta Recreation Centre at 11415 84 Avenue. You may also mail the application to Delta’s Taxation Office at 4500 Clarence Taylor Crescent, Delta, BC V4K 3E2.