Fire Prevention Week 2017
Oct 05, 2017
Fire Prevention Week returns to Delta this October with the theme of: "Every second counts: Plan two ways out!". Delta Fire & Emergency Service wants to remind residents that seconds count and can mean the difference between tragedy or saving your life.
This year's campaign is looking to encourage residents to make a map of your home (with this grid) marking two exits from each room and a path to the outside from the exit. Some of the important highlights of this year's campaign include:
- ensuring residents to practice your home fire drill twice a year, conducting one at night and one during the day with everyone in your home.
- teaching children how to escape on their own in case you are not available to help them
- making sure the number of your home is clearly marked and easy for the fire department to find
Other important messages of the campaign are:
- closing doors behind you to slow the spread of smoke, heat, and fire
- ensuring that you stay outside once you exit your home.
As in previous years, this kicks off the Delta Fire Department's school program, including the annual Fire Chief for the Day contest.
Fire Prevention Week runs from October 8 through 14, 2017.
Learn more at FirePreventionWeek.org.