Notice of Proposed Business Regulations
May 11, 2016
Community Charter Section 59(2)
The Municipal Council of The Corporation of Delta will consider Delta Business Licence Bylaw No. 4019, 1986, Amendment (Marihuana Sales, Inspectors Powers and Reconsideration Process) Bylaw No. 7576, 2016 (the “Bylaw”) at a Regular Meeting in the Council Chamber at the Municipal Hall, 4500 Clarence Taylor Crescent, Delta, BC, on Monday, May 16, 2016. The meeting commences at 7:00 pm.
In general, the purpose of the amendments in the Bylaw is to:
- Provide a definition for the terms “Marihuana Dispensary” and “Clerk”;
- Exclude Marihuana Dispensaries from the definitions of Drug Store, Methadone Clinic, Methadone Dispensary, Pharmacy and Polyclinic;
- Specify that a Marihuana Dispensary, in addition to a Charitable Casino, a Methadone Clinic, a Methadone Dispensary, a Pharmacy or a Polyclinic, is not exempted from the requirement to hold a valid and subsisting licence in order to operate;
- Make provision for and set out the process of reconsideration by Council if the Inspector refuses, suspends or cancels a business licence and the applicant or licensee applies to Council for reconsideration of that decision;
- Clarify that business licence applicants and business licence holders are required to comply with all applicable bylaws of Delta, and all applicable enactments, laws, rules, codes, regulations or orders of the Government of Canada, the Province of British Columbia and any other authority having jurisdiction over the business; and
- Prescribe an annual licence fee of $3,000 for a marihuana dispensary business.
Providing Comments to Council
A copy of the Bylaw and the May 9, 2016 Report to Council relating to it may be inspected on-line at www.delta.ca or at the Municipal Hall, 4500 Clarence Taylor Crescent, Delta, B.C. May 11, 13 and 16, 2016 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m and May 12, 2016 between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. Any inquiries should be made to Greg Vanstone, Municipal Solicitor at 604-946-3213.
If you feel that you may be affected by the Bylaw, you may notify Council by submitting written comments to the Municipal Clerk, addressed as follows:
Mayor and Council
The Corporation of Delta
4500 Clarence Taylor Crescent
Delta, BC V4K 3E2
Only written comments received by 12:00 pm May 16, 2016 will be considered.