The Corporation of Delta and Delta Fire & Emergency Services are taking action to address serious safety and building code violations at North Delta Inn (located at 11920 70 Ave, North Delta), ensuring the safety and protection of current residents and the surrounding community.
On May 13, 2015, Delta Fire executed an inspection of the building based on earlier orders to the owner to address compliance issues. It was found that there were 27 units occupied in the facility with make-shift cooking facilities and clear indications of long-term residency. The property is not zoned for such use.
The inspection established that the conditions of the Hotel building are currently not fit for occupancy due to the following serious non-compliance issues with Delta’s fire safety and building code:
- Open waste plumbing emitting sewer gas into interior space
- No approved and posted Fire Safety Plan
- No emergency lighting in hallways or in the stairwells
- Inadequate lighting in corridors and stairwells
- Fire exit doors not operable
- Broken emergency exit signs
- Exposed wall sockets
- Improper guards across patio doors, creating a falling hazard
- All heating and ventilating equipment not operable
- Inadequate heating and venting
- Open holes in the exterior wall envelope
- Electrical wiring installed through venting
- Water egress through the wall assembly and the roof assembly
- Fire alarm annunciator panel not functioning
The Corporation of Delta has a responsibility to ensure the safety and wellbeing of residents and the community; it is the obligation of the owner to bring the facility to compliance.
A staff report, presented at the May 25, 2015 Regular Meeting of Delta Council, recommends that the owner take actions to prevent access to the building by June 16, 2015, which will minimize the hazardous condition by preventing use of the facility.
The Office of the Fire Commissioner, Fraser Health Authority, BC Safety Authority and the Ministry of Social Development and Innovation have been advised of this matter for their individual follow-up.
For more information on this news release, contact the Chief Administrative Office at 604-946-3212 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.