Most apartment fires are caused by cooking/kitchen fires, heating equipment such as stoves or space heaters, smoking materials and arson, including child fire play.
To keep yourself, your family and your building safe:
- Be careful with smoking materials. Large, deep, sturdy ashtrays are best. Soak smoking materials with water before discarding. Check furniture for dropped matches and cigarettes. Never smoke in bed. Smokers must remember that alcohol and medications can make you less alert.
- Keep matches and lighters high on a shelf.
Fire Escape Plan
- Floor plans and evacuation procedures should be posted on every floor.
- It is recommended to designate and train a fire warden on each level of the building to ensure safe evacuation and ongoing safety programs.
- Ensure you review and practise your building's escape plans regularly. Know the two quickest and safest ways out of your building.
- Have a fire drill at least once a year. Coordinate practice drills with neighbours, fellow workers, floor warden and the building manager.
- Assign someone to assist people with disabilities who may need assistance to evacuate safely.