Based on community response to the development proposal for Block A, Council adopted the following resolution at their Regular Meeting on October 30, 2017:
- Staff meet with the applicant to advise that the form and character of the proposed 6-storey mixed-use building is not acceptable to Council, and that a master plan for the entire Tsawwassen Town Centre Mall site must be submitted with any development application on the property;
- Staff proceed in 2018 with an analysis of the current and future traffic volumes for the Tsawwassen area.
Note that the owner withdrew the application for the Block A site on December 8, 2017. As requested by Delta Council on October 30, 2017, staff will proceed in 2018 with an analysis of the current and future traffic volumes for the Tsawwassen area. Future proposals for a master plan for the overall Tsawwassen Town Centre Mall site or development for this property will be handled as new applications with a public consultation process as approved by Delta Council.
The purpose of the application is to subdivide a lot (proposed Block A) from the property at
1219 56 Street (the Tsawwassen Town Centre Mall) in order to permit the construction of a 6 storey mixed-use building with a density of 237 units per hectare (96 units per acre) that includes 1,090 m2 (11,733 ft2) of commercial floor area on the ground floor and 79 rental apartment units above. In order to proceed, the following is proposed:
- Rezoning a 0.33 hectare (0.8 acre) portion (Block A) of the subject property from C1 Core Commercial to a Comprehensive Development Zone to permit a mixed-use building. The majority of the parking for the residential and commercial uses is proposed to be located underground.
- Development Permit for Form and Character
- The property is located within the SD1-A Tsawwassen Town Centre Development Permit Area. This development permit area contains guidelines for the form and character of buildings and landscaping.
- Development Variance Permit
- (a) Reduce the total number of required parking spaces form 189 to 169 for the proposed mixed-use building on Block A
- (b) Reduce the width of parking spaces from 3 m (10 ft) to 2.75 m (9 ft) when adjacent to a column for proposed mixed-use building on Block A.
- (c) Reduce the number of required parking spaces for the remainder portion of 1219 56 Street containing the Tsawwassen Town Centre Mall from 310 to 307.
Tanya Mitchner, City of Delta