The road improvements phase began April 25, 2016, which includes removal and replacement of sidewalks, new street lighting, new stamped pedestrian crosswalks, road paving, and more. Work was completed on a block-by-block basis, beginning at the 47A Ave block and ending at Chisholm Street. Work was substantially completed in November 2016.
- To accommodate local traffic, the concrete crosswalk at the intersection of 48th Street and Delta Street will be installed in early 2017.
Traffic & Parking Disruptions
Going forward during construction, parking on the impacted blocks will be temporarily disrupted; however, pedestrian access will be maintained as long as it is safe to do so. Please view this map to identify public parking in the area.
Delta Street Revitalization Concept
The Delta Street Roadway Revitalization (48 Avenue to Chisholm Street) project is part of Delta's Neighbourhood Road Improvements Plan, which was introduced in 2012 to address aging roads and sidewalks in our community.
This project supports the vision of the South Delta Business Sustainability Strategy by revitalizing and investing in South Delta infrastructure and strengthening the village core.
Learn about the typical stages of construction for this project: Road Construction Process.
- Sidewalk replacements to improve grades and accessibility
- Removal and replacement of all boulevard trees and installation of root barrier system
- Decorative pedestrian plaza at the intersection of Delta Street and Bridge Street
- Decorative stamped/coloured pedestrian crosswalks at intersections
- New landscaping areas that include irrigation
- New bicycle racks, benches, decorative bollards, banner poles and garbage/recycling receptacles
- New LED decorative Ladner Village style street lighting (including hanging baskets with irrigation)
- New accessible power receptacles for community events and at each new tree for Christmas lighting
- New water fountains with hose bib and water bowl for dogs
- Sidewalk drainage improvements including storm sewer upgrades
- Watermain replacement
- Reconstruction of the pavement
Construction for the Delta Street Roadway Revitalization project started on January 18, 2016 and is expected to be complete in fall 2016.
The Delta Street Roadway Revitalization project was featured at the South Delta Infrastructure Improvements Public Open House on December 3, 2015.
For more information, please email Engineering Department or call 604-946-3260.