This project is a continuation of the 8A Avenue Phase 1 (English Bluff Road to 52 Street) project which was completed in 2018. Phase 2 of the project, 8A Avenue (52 Street to 56 Street) Roadway and Utility Improvements project is proposed to be completed in 2019. This project is part of Delta's Neighbourhood Road Improvements Plan, which was introduced in 2012 to address aging roads and sidewalks in our community.
The project will include various upgrades to 8A Avenue (52 Street to 56 Street), 55A Street (8A Avenue to 9 Avenue) and to 9 Avenue (55A Street to 56 Street).
The proposed improvements will include:
- Roadway widening and roadway repaving along 8A Avenue to Delta’s collector road standard including two travel lanes, cycle lanes and new barrier curb and gutter;
- Roadway widening and roadway repaving along 55A Street to Delta’s local road standard including new rollover curb and gutter;
- Roadway repaving along 9 Avenue;
- Addition of on-street parking;
- New pedestrian crossings and crosswalk upgrades;
- New 1.5m sidewalk on the south side from 52 Street to 56 Street;
- New 1.5m sidewalk on both sides from Gilchrist Drive to 55A Street;
- New LED ornamental street lighting;
- New boulevard trees;
- Watermain and sanitary sewermain upgrades; and,
- Drainage improvements as necessary.
For more information, please see the preliminary plan approved by Council.
Learn about the typical stages of construction for this project: Road Construction Process
The construction of the watermain for Phase 2 has commenced and is anticipated to be completed by early March 2019. The construction of the sanitary sewermain, storm main and roadway upgrades for Phase 2 is anticipated to commence shortly following the watermain construction.
The first Public Information Meeting was held on November 1, 2017 from 6:00pm to 8:00pm at South Park Elementary School.
The second Public Information Meeting was held on January 11, 2018 from 6:00pm to 8:00pm at South Delta Secondary School.
The third Public Information Meeting was held on January 10, 2019 from 6:00pm to 8:00pm at South Park Elementary School. The presentation slides that were presented at this Public Information Meeting can be found here. Please take note, drawings provided herein are not considered to be finalized plans.
Reports and Related Documents
For more information, please email the Engineering Department
or call 604-946-3260.