Delta staff have developed a revised preliminary design for 72 Avenue between 120 Street (Scott Road) and the BNSF Overpass to address congestion and safety issues along the corridor.
A safety audit of 72 Avenue preliminary design was conducted and resulted in several significant safety‐related modifications to the design. Based on the safety audit, the design has been revised to include a new narrow centre median island along 72 Avenue, new signalized U‐turns to improve access for properties fronting 72 Avenue, new traffic signal at 118 Street and, extended on‐street parking restrictions along 72 Avenue from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. from Monday to Friday. The revised preliminary design for the proposed improvements along 72 Avenue is attached for information.
The proposed improvements along 72 Avenue include:
- Four travel lanes with dedicated turning lanes from the BNSF overpass to 120 Street (Scott Road);
- New narrow centre median island along 72 Avenue;
- New grass boulevard and concrete sidewalk on both sides of 72 Avenue;
- New traffic signal at 72 Avenue and Westview Drive including signalized U-turns;
- New traffic signal at 72 Avenue and 113 Street;
- Intersection improvements at 112 Street and 116 Street including potential signalized U-turns;
- New traffic signal at 72 Avenue and 118 Street;
- New decorative street lighting;
- Drainage improvements including rain gardens at select locations; and,
- Roadway repaving.
The detailed design for the project is scheduled to be completed in 2020. The construction is scheduled in two phases (subject to Council approval) as follows:
- 2020 – BNSF Overpass to 115 Street
- 2021 – 115 Street to 120 Street
Learn about the typical stages of construction for this project: Road Construction Process.
Two Public Information Meetings with City staff were held in February 2018 and May 2019. The design has been revised based on resident feedback and the safety audit.
A third Public Information Meeting with City staff will be held to present the revised preliminary design and receive feedback from the community. The meeting is scheduled for:
| Thursday, February 27, 2020 |
|Time || 5:30 PM to 8:30 PM (meeting will be a drop‐in format) |
|Location || Sungod Recreation Centre (gymnasium) |
7815 112 Street, Delta BC.
A feedback form is attached for those who cannot attend, who wish to submit to us at this time.
We welcome and encourage your input to this project and look forward to hearing any comments or concerns at the meeting. For residents that are not able to attend, please submit comments on the attached form by March 2, 2020 by email (email@example.com) or in person to the Engineering Department at Delta City Hall.
Reports and Related Documents
For more information, please email the Engineering Department or call 604-946-3260.