The 53 Street/Arthur Drive and 28 Avenue Roadway and Utility Improvements project is part of Delta's Neighbourhood Road Improvements Plan, which was introduced in 2012 to address aging roads and sidewalks in our community.
The proposed roadway and utility improvements along 53 Street/Arthur Drive and 28 Avenue include:
- A new traffic signal on 53 Street/Arthur Drive at 28 Avenue including LED street lighting;
- Roadway widening (on the west side of 53 Street/Arthur Drive) to provide dedicated southbound right and left turn lanes;
- New dedicated westbound right turn lane on 28 Avenue;
- Ditch infill along the west side of 53 Street/Arthur Drive including new storm sewer installation;
- New drainage swale with lawnbasins along the west side of 53 Street/Arthur Drive for drainage;
- Cycle lane improvements;
- Bus stop improvements;
- Delta watermain replacement; and,
- Roadway rehabilitation.
A preliminary plan of proposed improvements is attached for information.
Learn about the typical stages of construction for this project:
Road Construction Process.
Construction of this project is tentatively scheduled as follows:
- March 2019 - 53 Street/Arthur Drive Storm Main Installation (by Metro Vancouver)
- Summer 2019 – 53 Street/Arthur Drive (Delta) Watermain Construction
- Fall 2019 – 53 Street/Arthur Drive Roadwork Construction
- Spring 2020 – 28 Avenue Roadwork Construction (52 Street to 53 Street/Arthur Drive)
Residents will receive another letter to notify them of the construction start date.
A public consultation meeting was held on February 21, 2018.
Due to heavy snow and traffic issues during the Public Information Meeting on February 21, 2018, an additional Public Information Meeting was held on April 17, 2018.
Metro Vancouver Watermain Replacement
Metro Vancouver has started construction of the watermain replacement along 53 Street/Arthur Drive between 28 Avenue and 34B Avenue and along 28 Avenue between 52 Street and 53 Street/Arthur Drive. This project will improve reliability of the water supply to the Tsawwassen area, including Tsawwassen First Nation (TFN) lands, and increase capacity to satisfy future demands.
For further information regarding Metro Vancouver’s project, please refer to their website: http://www.metrovancouver.org/services/water/construction-maintenance/construction-projects/south-delta-water-main-no-1-replacement
For more information, please email Engineering Department or call 604-946-3260.