Project Name: 8A Avenue Townhouses
(South Grove Homes)
Location: 5361, 5375, 5385 8A Avenue and 846 53A Street
File Number: LU008552
April 30, 2019: Council gave first and second readings to Official Community Plan Amendment Bylaw No. 7841, Zoning Amendment Bylaw No. 7842, Road Closure and Cancellation Bylaw No. 7843; and referred the Bylaws and Development Variance Permit LU008552 to a Public Hearing to be held on Monday, May 27 at 6 pm at Delta City Hall. A copy of the council report and attachments are available to view at the bottom of the page.
March 13, 2019: The application has been further revised from the applicant’s June 2018 proposal. The more apparent changes to the proposed development include:
- The addition of 846 53A Street to the subject site area and a three-unit townhouse building on that portion of the site;
- An increase in the total number of townhouse units from 32 to 37 (three units at the corner of 8A Avenue/53A Street and 34 units east of the hydro corridor);
- Increased building heights for buildings fronting on 8A Avenue, from two storeys to three storeys;
- Revised internal site layout and driveway alignment; and
- Revised building and landscape designs.
Additional variances would be required to permit the development under Townhouse Residential 40 (RT40) zoning. Specific details of the variance request are provided under the “Application” section below. Drawings of the revised proposal are available for viewing at the bottom of the page.
June 27, 2018: The application has been revised by removing the property at 846 53A Street from the proposal and reducing the total number of proposed townhouse dwelling units from 38 to 32. The proposed residential density of 38 uph (15 upa) remains the same. A variance for the height of a principal building in the Townhouse Residential 40 (RT40) zone is still being requested; however, overall height of the proposed three-storey buildings has been reduced by 0.5 m (2 ft) to 10.5 m (34 ft). The applicant’s request to vary the front setback on the 8A Avenue frontage has been withdrawn such that the proposal complies with the front setback requirements of the proposed zone. Drawings showing the revisions to site layout, building design, landscaping and tree retention can be viewed below.
The application involves a proposal to consolidate the four subject properties in order to develop 37 townhouse units in nine buildings. The proposal also includes a request to acquire and consolidate a 115.1 m2 (1,239 ft2) portion of City-owned lands located to the east of the subject properties in exchange for a 117.9 m2 (1,269 ft2) portion of land from the northeast portion of the subject site for consolidation with Winskill Park.
Proposed Site Layout
Type: Official Community Plan Amendment, Rezoning, Development Variance Permit and Subdivision
- Official Community Plan Amendment:
- To change the land use designation of the subject properties in the Future Land Use Plan in Schedule A from One and Two Unit Residential (R) to Multi-Unit Residential (MR).
- To change the land use designation of the subject properties in the Tsawwassen Area Plan in Schedule D.1 from Single Family Residential (SFR) to Residential Ground-Oriented (RG) in order to allow the proposed townhouse use at a density of 37 uph (15 upa).
Development Variance Permit:
- To rezone the subject properties from Single Detached Residential 1 (RS1) to Townhouse Residential 40 (RT40) in order to permit the development of 37 townhouse units on the subject site.
- To request variances to the following sections in “Delta Zoning Bylaw No. 7600, 2017”:
- Section 6.2.13, by reducing the minimum separation distance between buildings where there is vehicle access from 9 m (30 ft) to 7 m (23 ft) to allow for roof eave projections.
- Section 13.20, Townhouse Residential 40 (RT40 Zone) as follows:
- reducing the minimum front setback for a principal structure (on 8A Avenue) from 5 m (16 ft) to 4.6 m (15 ft) for window projections and 4.5 m (15 ft) for roof eaves;
- reducing the minimum exterior side setback for a principal structure (on 53A Street) from 5 m (16 ft) to 4.3 m (14 ft) for window projections and 4.1 m (13 ft) for roof eaves; and
- increasing the maximum permitted height of a principal structure as follows:
- Number of storeys from 2 ½ to 3;
- Mid-roof height from 8.5 m (28 ft) to 10.2 m (33 ft); and
- Roof ridge height from 9.5 m (31 ft) to 11.9 m (39 ft).
- To consolidate the four subject properties and the portion of City-owned lands to be acquired in the proposed land exchange into a single parcel for development.
Reports and Related Documents
- 2019 May 2
Public Hearing Notice
- 2019 Apr 29
Council Report for 1st and 2nd Readings
Attachment A - Bylaw No. 7841, OCP Amendment
Attachment B - Bylaw No. 7842, Zoning Amendment
Attachment C - Bylaw No. 7843, Road Closure and Cancellation
Attachment D - Location Map
Attachment E - Aerial Photos
Attachment F - Tsawwassen Future Land Use Plan
Attachment G - Project Data Table
Attachment H - Summary of Public Comments
Attachment I - Architectural Plans
Attachment J - Architect’s Design Brief and Variance Rationale
Attachment K - Land Exchange Survey
Attachment L - Land Exchange Agreement
Attachment M - Conceptual Winskill Park Connection
Attachment N - Renderings
Attachment O - Landscape and Tree Removal and Retention Plans
Attachment P - Landscape Architect’s Design Brief
Attachment Q - Traffic Impact Assessment (Full Report)
Attachment R - 8A Avenue Capital Works Plan and Cross-section
Attachment S - Green Growth Index Questionnaire
Attachment T - Minutes from the April 5, 2018 Community Planning Advisory Committee Meeting
Attachment U - Minutes from the July 5, 2018 Community Planning Advisory Committee Meeting
Attachment V - Minutes from the August 23, 2018 Advisory Design Panel Meeting
- 2019 Mar 28
Resident Re-Notification Letter (dated March 11, 2019)
Revised Architectural Drawings (dated March 18, 2019)
Revised Landscape and Tree Retention Drawings (dated March 18, 2019)
Renderings (dated March 22, 2019)
- 2018 June 20
Resident Re-Notification Letter
Revised Architectural Drawings
Revised Landscape and Tree Retention Drawings
- 2018 Mar 14
Delta Presentation Boards
Applicant Presentation Boards
- 2018 Feb 28
Public Information Meeting Notification Letter
- 2018 Feb 6
Resident Notification Letter
- 2018 Jan 22
Council Report: New Application (dated January 9, 2018)
Satish Sharma, Maple Leaf Homes (Delta) Ltd.