Delta is designating space at the North 40 Park Reserve for commercial dog walking activities, where more than two dogs (to a maximum of four dogs) will be allowed off-leash at a time.
With community feedback from the North 40 Park Reserve Survey completed in May 2016, we've created the following terms and conditions to form the basis of a new commercial dog walking policy.
Licenced commercial dog walkers:
- Must have a valid Delta business licence.
- Must carry a valid insurance policy with a minimum of $5 million liability coverage and naming the Corporation of Delta as an additional insured.
- Must take a course on responsible dog handling, or be able to prove that they have already taken a training course; both to the satisfaction of the Manager of the Delta Animal Shelter.
- Must purchase an annual permit issued by Delta's Director of Parks, Recreation & Culture.
- Must be 19 years of age or older.
- Must wear clothing (vest/shirt) that identifies them as a licenced commercial dog walker.
- Must immediately muzzle and leash any dog that acts in an aggressive manner.
- Must leash any dog that is unable to respond; that is not "under control."
- Must pick up after all dogs in their care and act as responsible custodians of the park.
- Must be respectful of all other park users and obey all park signs.
- Must have suitable transportation to ensure the health and safety for all animals in their care.
Additional terms and conditions:
- If a dog under a commercial dog walker's care has a history of being aggressive, that dog is not allowed off-leash at any time.
- Each commercial dog walker is allowed up to eight dogs; four of the eight are allowed off-leash at a time.
- All dogs must remain on-leash until they are within the designated commercial dog walking space within the park.
- All dogs must wear a vest or tag that identifies them as part of the commercial dog walking group (the vest or tag must match the handler's identification).
- Days and times that commercial dog walking can take place at the park:
Monday–Friday, 9–11 am & 2–4 pm | Saturday, 10 am–1 pm
- Commercial dog walking is not allowed at the park on Sundays or statutory holidays at this time.
- All outstanding fees and fines owed to Delta must be paid, prior to issuance of the Delta commercial dog walking permit.
Commercial dog walking annual permit fee: $500 plus tax
If you would like to submit feedback or have questions regarding the terms and conditions of Delta's new Commercial Dog Walking policy, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and include the subject line: Commercial Dog Walking by April 30, 2017.