Part of a grouping of historic structures on Delta Street, this one and one-half storey plus full height basement Edwardian-era public building has a brick and stucco clad exterior detailed with half-timbering. The building is located at the corner of Delta and Bridge Streets in the centre of historic Ladner village. Adjacent to the building stands a six- metre high granite memorial clock tower and an historic totem pole.
The Delta Municipal Hall is valued as a proud symbol of the origins of civic government in Delta, which has always been centred in Ladner. It also stands as a reflection of the growth and prosperity of Delta prior to the First World War and the continuing importance of Ladner as the local administrative centre. This new hall replaced an earlier one, which had become too small to perform city business.
Over time, this structure provided accommodation for other civic functions, and in 1932 the site was enhanced with a granite clock tower erected to honour William Henry Ladner, prominent Delta pioneer and the man after whom the village is named. Also in 1932, a totem pole was raised that had been specially carved for Delta by Chief Wilkes James. The continuing growth of Delta again required a larger building to accommodate the needs of the expanded local government. By 1968 a new structure
was opened, and this former hall was adapted for use as the Delta Museum and Archives. Its continued use as a community facility, and its heritage designation in 1983, represent a long history of public association with this prominent site and Delta's commitment to heritage conservation.
Built in 1912, the Delta Municipal Hall is of architectural value for its bold Arts and Crafts architecture. Befitting its civic purpose, the Hall was designed in an imposing style facing the main street in Ladner. The symmetrical main facade, grand central entry and prominent front-facing gables all contribute to its imposing appearance, and the sophisticated use of proportion and detailing emphasizes the monumental scale of the building.
The Arts and Crafts style, allied to the popular Craftsman residential vocabulary, was almost always used for local municipal halls of the Edwardian era. The style also demonstrated an allegiance to British
legislative antecedents and was commonly utilized in British Columbia due to the large number of British
born or trained architects familiar with principles of the movement and the strong connection many
citizens still felt to Britain. The heritage value of this building is also associated with its English-born and trained architect, Archibald Campbell Hope (1870-1942) and its builder, prominent contractor George Bowder. A.C. Hope was a prominent early Vancouver architect remembered for his institutional buildings including Postal Station ‘C’ (now Heritage Hall), considered one of Vancouver’s best examples of Beaux-Arts Classicism.
Character defining elements:
Prominent corner location with a minimal setback from property lines
Institutional form, scale and massing as expressed by its one and one-half storey plus full basement height and symmetrical, rectangular plan
Complex multi-gabled roof with extended double gabled roof projections at front, with closed soffits
and triangular eave brackets; projecting upper extensions on front gables; and finials crowning the
peak of each gable
Construction materials, such as: wood-frame construction; red brick cladding to the bottom of the
ground floor windows; stucco and wood half-timbering; concrete window lintels and sills in the
basement; and concrete foundation
Elements of the Arts and Crafts style as expressed by the picturesque roofline, rough-cast stucco, half-timbering and massive eave brackets
Additional exterior details such as: front gabled entrance porch with square columns and square balusters; square wooden flag pole anchored to porch, extending through the porch roof; and panelled double front doors with 9-paned windows and flanking sidelights
Regular fenestration: use of triple-assembly wooden sash casement windows throughout, with transoms on the main floor
Surviving interior features such as the original millwork with window cornices and sills; staircase with
plain balusters and square newel posts; recessed coved ceiling; vault on the main floor; and cast iron radiators
Associated site features such as foundation plantings, hedges, adjacent street trees, the historic 1932 totem pole and the 1932 granite Ladner Clock Tower
Added to Municipal Register: March 9, 1999
Submitted to National Register: 2005
Designated: June 13, 1983
Last Reviewed: Donald Luxton and Associates, 2005